SOLVED: Logging In Frequency, Remembering Credentials

• 15 replies

EffOff2

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
SOLVED: Logging In Frequency, Remembering Credentials
« on: October 11, 2018, 09:23:07 am »
UPDATE: See my post below for solution: https://forum.bitchute.com/index.php?topic=557.msg2802#msg2802.

Two points.

#1: I don't like having to log in every so often.  It's, what, once a week(?) I get logged out on all my devices and have to log in again.  It's annoying and unnecessary.

#2: The BitChute login interface seems to have disabled the facility many browsers have to store the username and password.  Again, WHY?  It's bad enough I have to re-log in for no good reason but it's triply more infuriating that I have to type out my email address and remember my password.

NOT user-friendly!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 09:57:55 pm by EffOff2 »

Re: Logging In Frequency, Remembering Credentials
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2018, 07:10:47 pm »
You lost me....

I'm not sure what you are talking about.

I can log into the BitChute website and the BitChute forum, using just my user name.

When I do log into the BitChute website, I never get logged out. I can stay on for a whole day. Walk away for 12 hours and come back and still be logged in.

When I log into the BitChute forum, I select the option to stay logged in longer, and then select the time to be logged out for inactivity, which I set at 60 minutes.

So you really lost me! I have no idea what you are talking about.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2018, 07:12:32 pm by projectlifecommand »
My Books And Other Stuff, If Anyone Is Interested
https://projectlifecommand.wixsite.com/secrets/sneak-peak-preview

EffOff2

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2018, 08:39:13 pm »
I said I get logged out every few days, not hours.  I then have log back in.

On the hated YouTube (hack, spit) I'm logged in permanently.

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2018, 09:10:25 pm »
Staying logged in permanently is a breach in security.

Facebook is what started pushing for people to stay logged in all the time, because they wanted everyone to have all their safeguards down and for everyone to be hacked.

Something else no one did before Facebook was let people sign in to a website from another website. Facebook started that too, because you're then handing over your username, email, password, and all your account information to another website, and also allowing third parties to steal it all as well.

Staying logged in all the time is also bad because your username, email, and password is stored as cookies in your browser, which means anyone able to hack your computer while you are online, will also have that same information along with website address that they go to.

No one should ever be logged into websites while they are sleeping or away from their computer for extended amounts of time. Doing so would be like announcing to the whole world that you want someone to steal your account passwords and log into your accounts. You don't want that. If someone does that and changes your passwords or gets a hold of your credit card information, you would be screwed.

Staying logged in all the time also means you never empty or clear your browsers cookies or memory cache, meaning your browser will get slower, and eventually have loading problems and start to error when trying to use certain websites.

I think you have the wrong idea of what 'user friendly' means. It means for the website or software to be easy to use, not for the user to get easily used.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 01:51:31 am by projectlifecommand »

abvgd

• +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2018, 10:59:31 pm »
Regarding #2, this seems to be browser-specific. For instance, Chrome offered to save my Bitchute credentials but my primary browser Firefox did not so what I did was to save it in Chrome and then import all Chrome credentials into Firefox. Bottom line, you're not the only one with this problem but I have no idea if they are ever going to look into it and fix it as the Bitchute team isn't exactly the most responsive team when it comes to user support (though in their defense, I guess they have a lot of work on their hands). You'll just have to search the user contributions on this forum for potential workarounds until if and when the Bitchute team decides to address the issue...

I think you have the wrong idea of what 'user friendly' means. It means for the website or software to be easy to use, not for the user to get easily used.
If I understood him correctly, the problem is that he has to manually type in his credentials and gets logged out frequently on top of it. Before I found the above mentioned password import workaround, Bitchute was completely unusable because I don't memorize all my passwords and I couldn't bother with hassle...
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 12:06:01 am by abvgd »

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2018, 12:36:26 am »
If I understood him correctly, the problem is that he has to manually type in his credentials and gets logged out frequently on top of it.

Nope, they cleared that up in their second post. It only logs them out once every few days.

abvgd

• +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2018, 01:25:40 am »
If I understood him correctly, the problem is that he has to manually type in his credentials and gets logged out frequently on top of it.

Nope, they cleared that up in their second post. It only logs them out once every few days.
I know that this happened to me frequently enough for it to be completely intolerable to the point that I decided to spend an entire evening either finding a solution to it on my own or giving up on Bitchute completely. Trust me, once a day is more than enough if you haven't memorized your password and can't type it in zen mode with your eyes closed - and even if you have it memorized, it would still be a major issue and nuisance compared to the ease of logging in at Youtube. Now, having managed to find a workaround, my Bitchute experience has improved to become merely a tolerable nuisance (due to some other equally trivial website flaws) rather than being completely intolerable which is a big improvement - but how many know and are willing to fix it on their own (if at fixable) the way I did it? Maybe 5% of users facing this and similar problems. So, I don't doubt for a moment that this happens frequently enough to turn people away from Bitchute. Now, I'm a constructive critic and a tech savvy enthusiast who will always give free speech platforms like Bitchute the time and the benefit of doubt in order to work out these quirks but not everyone is and the Bitchute team should worry about these other 95% who will cut them no slack on such matters...
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 01:46:22 am by abvgd »

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2018, 01:45:33 am »
People must log out of websites! Not doing so would be like saying you always leave the doors to your house open because you can't be bothered with always having to remember where you put the house key.

https://forum.bitchute.com/index.php?topic=557.msg2778#msg2778

abvgd

• +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2018, 01:51:52 am »
People must log out of websites! Not doing so would be like saying you always leave the doors to your house open because you can't be bothered with always having to remember where you put the house key.

https://forum.bitchute.com/index.php?topic=557.msg2778#msg2778
Yes, and I have no issue with automatic logouts provided that the website credentials are remembered and logging in is a matter of just clicking a button. However, add frequent logouts with having to manually type your email address and password each and every time, and it becomes prohibitive to the average user. As for the frequency of automatic logouts, some sites like Wikipedia let you check a box if you want your login to last longer than an ordinary session (in Wikipedia's case, for up to a year!) so that it's up to the user to decide what his security requirements are.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 01:57:08 am by abvgd »

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2018, 07:24:28 am »
. . . so that it's up to the user to decide what his security requirements are.
which is, of course, as it should be. Anybody making blanket pronouncements that you must ALWAYS do this or NEVER do that is both ignorant and pretentious. Circumstances vary.

I have to agree about catering to the 95%.  I also, am going the extra mile to use bitchute. I suppose I could exempt the cooky from being deleted but I prefer semi-automatic filling in of the credentials as I've already worked out a secure, convenient method for that. I'll see if I can do your trick with Chromium, which is similar to Chrome. I use Pale Moon.

EffOff2

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2018, 09:21:59 pm »
Staying logged in permanently is a breach in security.
[...]
Staying logged in all the time is also bad because your username, email, and password is stored as cookies in your browser, which means anyone able to hack your computer while you are online, will also have that same information along with website address that they go to.

No one should ever be logged into websites while they are sleeping or away from their computer for extended amounts of time. Doing so would be like announcing to the whole world that you want someone to steal your account passwords and log into your accounts. You don't want that. If someone does that and changes your passwords or gets a hold of your credit card information, you would be screwed.
[...]

Look, pal, you have strong views on this matter and like things to be a certain way.  Bully for you.  I'm not going to get int a protracted discussion about this because this is "just" BitChute, not my bank account.

All I will say, as abvgd noted also, is that having to type in my login creds every few days is a deal-breaker for me.  I don't have Chrome so I can't try the trick he recommended but I'll spend 5-10 minutes seeing if I can't find a workaround some other way.

If I can't, I'm packing it in with BitChute.  I suspect a number of others will, too.  "User friendly" means putting the users' needs and preferences first and facilitating for the users what they need and want to do.  People who are super security-conscious have the option of manually logging out every time they finish watching a video if they want.  Those of us who don't care as much should have the option of staying logged in permanently; if not, at least let us save our credentials and spare us from having to type them every few damn days.

That, to my mind, would be the sensible AND USER-FRIENDLY way of keeping people happy and keeping people on the platform.  Minds.com is an example of how it's done!

dastrev

• +6/-0
    • View Profile
    • Bitchute
Re: SOLVED: Logging In Frequency, Remembering Credentials
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2018, 09:46:43 pm »
I use Firefox and have had no problem whatsoever with having to log in all the time.  I haven't had to re enter my login info ever on my home computer.  My guess is the problem has nothing to do with BitChute but is coming from something else.  For instance it might be because of using an adblocker.  I have my adblocker disabled for the BitChute site. 

EffOff2

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2018, 09:56:13 pm »
All right, well, since I detest Google and don't have Chrome (so abvgd's solution didn't apply), I did something else.  This works on Firefox; unsure about Edge/I.E. workarounds.

• Go to bitchute.com and ensure you're logged out.  Click on Log In, and the box will pop up asking for your username and password.
  • Right-click anywhere next to the BitChute logo and select Inspect Element (Q).  A pane will open highlighting the line <div class="modal-header">...</div>.
  • Right-click on that line and select Edit as HTML.
  • After the <div class="modal-header"> line hit enter and on a new line type <form method=post><input name=username><input type=password name=password><input type=submit></form>
  • Click anywhere in the same pane but outside the text box.  There will now be two fields (username and password) and a submit button next to the BitChute logo.
  • Type in your username and password, and hit Submit Query.  Firefox will ask whether you want to save the login; select Yes.  There will be an error and you will not be logged in, but go back to bitchute.com, select Login, and the login credentials will now be written in.

I can't believe I had to do this [email protected]#$ for something so simple, all because BitChute plays god with our login protocols.

BitChute, it's a video-sharing platform, not the NORAD, ffs.

dastrev

• +6/-0
    • View Profile
    • Bitchute
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2018, 11:51:42 pm »
As I explained in my post just prior I use Firefox and have had no such problem.  The problem does not lie with BitChute.  There are so many people like you that right away jump to the conclusion that BitChute has a problem if something doesn't work for them instead of looking at what's going on on their end.  I guess I'm glad you found a way to make it work but it shouldn't require all this crazy computer ninja work to 'getaround' imaginary 'BitChute playing god with your login protocol'!

abvgd

• +4/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2018, 12:09:24 pm »
All right, well, since I detest Google and don't have Chrome (so abvgd's solution didn't apply), I did something else.  This works on Firefox; unsure about Edge/I.E. workarounds.
Great that you managed to made it work! This should help many others in need of a Firefox-only solution to this problem...

As I explained in my post just prior I use Firefox and have had no such problem.  The problem does not lie with BitChute.  There are so many people like you that right away jump to the conclusion that BitChute has a problem if something doesn't work for them instead of looking at what's going on on their end.  I guess I'm glad you found a way to make it work but it shouldn't require all this crazy computer ninja work to 'getaround' imaginary 'BitChute playing god with your login protocol'!
Just to chip in with my own experience, I tried making Firefox remember my credentials in Firefox's Safe Mode (all add-ons and advanced features disabled, just the bare browser basics) but with no luck, so it's not due to some mysterious add-on or weird settings. It's either the fault of Firefox as it is (in its most basic barebones edition) or with the Bitchute website as it is. Since I haven't had this problem with other websites' login forms, I have to assume that the Bitchute website is not doing things properly. Mind you, the website may be doing things right on the surface but anyone with any experience in website coding will be well aware of the fact that you will need fallback options in the code for different browsers (and browser versions) and for various exceptions to the rules that your script assumes to be the norm. Whatever it is, I have to assume that a properly coded website should be able to handle it...
« Last Edit: October 13, 2018, 12:20:25 pm by abvgd »