Does Bitchute show your IP to your visitors?

• 22 replies
Re: Does Bitchute show your IP to your visitors?
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2018, 03:46:58 am »
And what happens if I turn off WebTorrent / WebRTC technology for video content delivery in Bitchute options? Will my public IP still appear on that programs that you mentioned?

If you disable it, you won't peer/seed with Webtorrent, so your IP shouldn't be listed in those program, no.

GLR

• +11/-0
    • View Profile
    • Selbstbefreiung
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2018, 01:41:55 pm »
I have seen that this is explained and can be activated or deactivated on the "Settings" > "Interface" page of one's channel/account.

Use WebTorrent / WebRTC technology for video content delivery?  > YES / NO

• If this is enabled then we will use the latest WebTorrent / WebRTC technologies to deliver your video content.
  • If this is disabled then we will use traditional streaming technologies to delivery your video content.

In both cases, we recommend you keep your connection to the Internet secure and encrypted and prevent your ISP, company, school or government from seeing your online activity by use of a VPN. Every sale supports this site.

As I said already Opera has a VPN mode which hides your IP.

lurker69

• +1/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2018, 06:39:28 pm »
I dont think there is any fix possible. Exposing seeders IPs is integral part of torrenting. Leechers need to know your IP so they can get data from you. Consequently with a little bit of Inspect Element tool, anyone can see IPs of computers that serve the content.

It same with regular torrenting. Anyone who is downloading some file can see IP of everybody else who is downloading or seeding same file atm.

Only fix is either VPN or turning off WebTorrent in options. Maybe devs could better explain advantages and disadvantages of WebTorrenting.

Dont forget that each time you visit any website, you are exposing your IP to anyone with access to logs of that server (and all servers between you and that server).

If you use dynamic IP you are pretty safe. If your IP is static and can be found in other leaked logs, potentially it can be used to make a profile, which can be used to identify user behind the IP. But this is very rare. In 99,9% of situations, only information one can get from IP is your ISP and your rough location.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2018, 06:46:15 pm by lurker69 »

MrOwlProductions

• +0/-0
  • Vlogger
    • View Profile
    • The Virtual Pyramid
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2018, 06:12:04 pm »
That is the problem..

I donīt want anyone to know my location because I have a long-term project and security is the best option.

When people know my ISP and where I am from, they can know more private information about me and use it to attack me.

For example, Youtube, Dailymotion or Wordpress donīt show your public or static IP.
-The original-

« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2018, 05:13:23 am »
That is the problem..

I donīt want anyone to know my location because I have a long-term project and security is the best option.

When people know my ISP and where I am from, they can know more private information about me and use it to attack me.

For example, Youtube, Dailymotion or Wordpress donīt show your public or static IP.

Then you'd best either disable WebRTC or invest in a VPN. If security is a high priority for you, I'd suggest the latter anyway. The benefits will far outweigh the cost.

YouTube, Dailymotion, and Wordpress don't incorporate webtorrent either (though they absolutely collect your IP and log it. Best hope those logs don't leak). Bitchute does incorporate torrents, but this is easily disabled.

Bottom line, if security is enough of a concern for you that IP leaks are a real danger, you ought to be taking your own steps to mitigate that. A VPN sounds like a necessary investment for you.

MrOwlProductions

• +0/-0
  • Vlogger
    • View Profile
    • The Virtual Pyramid
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2018, 02:53:56 pm »
Yes. But it is not the same thing.

On common Websites random people canīt see your IP. On Bitchute, one hater can see it easily by following a few steps.

I know that WP, DM, and YB recollect your IP, but they use it for selling you products you search on Google. They donīt exhibit it to strangers, like Bitchute.

Do you see this big difference?
-The original-

The Garden

• +21/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2018, 09:26:09 pm »
I guess not!

« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2018, 02:06:53 am »
I know that WP, DM, and YB recollect your IP, but they use it for selling you products you search on Google. They donīt exhibit it to strangers, like Bitchute.

Do you see this big difference?

At the risk of seeming nitpicky, it should be pointed out that the culprits here are more Webtorrent and WebRTC, not Bitchute per se. The platform is incorporating the technology, not developing it.

On the one hand, one could say that Bitchute's goals are decentralization and anti-censorship primarily, not necessarily anonymity or privacy. But I do think privacy and anonymity should be respected, even if they aren't central goals.

One could argue that unwitting users might not realize the risk of IP leaks via torrents. It might be best if Bitchute disabled WebRTC by default (do they?) and offer an explanation of the risks and benefits before prompting new users to opt in during registration.