Creating more than one channel under one account.

• 23 replies

Zethnos

• +8/-0
    • View Profile
Creating more than one channel under one account.
« on: March 08, 2018, 11:11:00 am »
It would be great if people could create more than one channel. I currently have 2 on youtube. One for vlogging and one for gaming. Wish I could do that here without a 2nd account.

The Garden

• +23/-1
    • View Profile
Re: Creating more than one channel under one account.
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2018, 02:16:50 pm »
It would be great if people could create more than one channel. I currently have 2 on youtube. One for vlogging and one for gaming. Wish I could do that here without a 2nd account.

That would be the best solution for many with diverse content ... as is, one must have two accounts (or more) in order not to mix content thus scaring potential followers.

I guess that it might be in their to-do list. Note that if you go to your profile page, there are two icons: your account and your channel. The duplicity would be useless if they are not planning for us to have additional channels ...

Another logical reason: Better having one user with various channels in a single account, than having various users with various channels (from the same person)

If people were more diverse, this wouldn't be necessary ... but usually people come with an specific topic in mind .. a young 10-year-old gamer wouldn't like to see a video of Alex Jones ranting for example.

Zethnos

• +8/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2018, 05:01:46 am »
That would be the best solution for many with diverse content ... as is, one must have two accounts (or more) in order not to mix content thus scaring potential followers.

I guess that it might be in their to-do list. Note that if you go to your profile page, there are two icons: your account and your channel. The duplicity would be useless if they are not planning for us to have additional channels ...

Another logical reason: Better having one user with various channels in a single account, than having various users with various channels (from the same person)

If people were more diverse, this wouldn't be necessary ... but usually people come with an specific topic in mind .. a young 10-year-old gamer wouldn't like to see a video of Alex Jones ranting for example.

Yeah I actually got confused by the whole account vs channel thing when I was first making it because I thought I would be able to make a 2nd one. I would love to have a channel where I could do everything in one place, but I don't know if I would actually be able to grow like that, because many creators have tried and failed because their content varies so much.

I really hope this does make the public to-do list :P

The Garden

• +23/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2018, 10:35:05 am »

Yeah I actually got confused by the whole account vs channel thing when I was first making it because I thought I would be able to make a 2nd one. I would love to have a channel where I could do everything in one place, but I don't know if I would actually be able to grow like that, because many creators have tried and failed because their content varies so much.

I really hope this does make the public to-do list :P

I think that if secondary channels are done in such a way that followers stick to the channel they follow, without mixing content or channels, it should work ... like, we follow a channel, not the person .. in doing so, we will see only the content from the channel we follow, regardless of how many channels the person has ...

I created a pool to ask people's opinion about additional features, take a look: https://forum.bitchute.com/index.php?topic=148.0

There you can suggest about additional channels ...

Zethnos

• +8/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2018, 02:52:05 pm »
I think that if secondary channels are done in such a way that followers stick to the channel they follow, without mixing content or channels, it should work ... like, we follow a channel, not the person .. in doing so, we will see only the content from the channel we follow, regardless of how many channels the person has ...

I created a pool to ask people's opinion about additional features, take a look: https://forum.bitchute.com/index.php?topic=148.0

I went and voted on your post :)

Though that does bring up an interesting option. Maybe if they allow multiple channels they could give you the option to follow the channel or the creator. That way people that like a specific creator in general don't have to follow a ton of channels, but can follow individuals who they like regardless of the topic they cover.

I could see issues with that to be honest. Like creators using multiple channels as "sub-channels" like playlists instead of fully individual channels. Who knows what will happen.

The Garden

• +23/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2018, 06:00:25 pm »

I went and voted on your post :)

Though that does bring up an interesting option. Maybe if they allow multiple channels they could give you the option to follow the channel or the creator. That way people that like a specific creator in general don't have to follow a ton of channels, but can follow individuals who they like regardless of the topic they cover.

I could see issues with that to be honest. Like creators using multiple channels as "sub-channels" like playlists instead of fully individual channels. Who knows what will happen.

You raise a good point ... sub to individual channels  or to the creator (with many channels) ... this option would be really good ...

The_Underdog

• +26/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2018, 03:17:37 am »

I think the idea of having multiple channels to one account would be a good idea too. I realise, the second I touch gaming, the audience that is here for my observations or rants on points aren't going to like the technical gaming aspects as much and bail.

I'm not sure if the idea is legally copyrighted by YouTube, however. So BitChute might have to create a concept of named feeds, of which one account can have, of which videos can be allocated into.

(The named feeds might play well in terms of the blockchain registering of torrent magnet links, by having each named feed a separate blockchain. You can then introduce an account blockchain that has a magnet link pointing to the individual feed blockchains, and then a master blockchain that points to a magnet link for all the individual account blockchains. A bit like a tree).
Power in absence.

The Garden

• +23/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2018, 03:39:05 am »

I think the idea of having multiple channels to one account would be a good idea too. I realise, the second I touch gaming, the audience that is here for my observations or rants on points aren't going to like the technical gaming aspects as much and bail.

I'm not sure if the idea is legally copyrighted by YouTube, however. So BitChute might have to create a concept of named feeds, of which one account can have, of which videos can be allocated into.

(The named feeds might play well in terms of the blockchain registering of torrent magnet links, by having each named feed a separate blockchain. You can then introduce an account blockchain that has a magnet link pointing to the individual feed blockchains, and then a master blockchain that points to a magnet link for all the individual account blockchains. A bit like a tree).

I wonder how many creators have different channels for specific topics ... and if they prefer to have them literally separated or joined into a single account. This is a tricky issue. Channels, playlist etc ...

How about the account feed, should it show all channels? If so, the whole idea of having the content segmented goes down the drain. Unless, the feed can have filters or be separated by tabs, one for each channel.

Zethnos

• +8/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2018, 04:02:43 am »
I wonder how many creators have different channels for specific topics ... and if they prefer to have them literally separated or joined into a single account. This is a tricky issue. Channels, playlist etc ...

How about the account feed, should it show all channels? If so, the whole idea of having the content segmented goes down the drain. Unless, the feed can have filters or be separated by tabs, one for each channel.

I think the account feed should probably have the option for the creator to choose if the feed shows content for one specific channel or all of them when a user first looks at it, but then the user can filter content by channel, topic, etc. Like if someone has a gaming and a cooking channel, but one of them is just a side project they don't care about they could feature the other one in the feed when someone first looks at it.

Also, on the topic of account feed, I have another idea I may suggest in a bit.

darkcity

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2018, 09:52:59 pm »
Someone on reddit has successfully made two channels.

The Garden

• +23/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2018, 04:14:59 am »
Someone on reddit has successfully made two channels.

Is is either a fake or the person is using a version that no one knows yet ...

hello_everyone

• +3/-0
    • View Profile
    • Break the Chains
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2018, 01:48:32 pm »
Just to add to the "multiple accounts", why not just provide a mechanism to add multiple users to an account. It should be a many to many relationship with a lookup table type of relationship between accounts and channels.

We do the same thing with a niche business project I am currently working on.

There are any number of users, and they can own or work for several different small businesses. We wanted the ability for user accounts and businesses to be managed very fluidly. It is the exact same problem with users/channels. Your tables (assuming a relational database) would need to look similar to this...

UserAccount:
userId
userName

Channels:
channelId
channelName

userAccount_channels_lookup_table:
userId
channelId
userLevel (i.e. 1 for admin, 2 for editor...)

Then your permission paradigm for channels just looks if the user is contained in the userAccount_channels_lookup_table.

I think that if you implement this sort of structure now, it will be easier than down the road and will allow for multiple channels to be created easily.

There are a lot of advantages to having multiple channels. For example, I was a [small] content creator on youtube, and I would post nicely edited videos to my main channel, but I had another channel for family so we could share just stupid, unedited videos of family events. 

If I were to transfer my main youtube videos to BitChute, I would want to be able to create a channel that is not publicly linked to my main profile. The channel should be able to be it's own entity. Also I have thought of posting some how-to videos in the technology related spectrum, but I kind of don't want to pollute my profile with "helpful" videos, and controversial videos at the same time. Because down the road, when the platform takes off, people will correlate my helpful videos with my controversial stuff and begin to hate on the helpful videos for no reason.

So basically, channels allow compartmentalization. There are many times where someone may have two+ interesting topics they post about and I only care about one. If 90% of what they post is annoying/irrelevant (i.e. It's raining tacos video), I am not subscribing because it will fill my front page feed with crap. However, if they can post on separate channels, I can get what I want and they can get the views they want. It is a win/win situation.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 01:57:50 pm by hello_everyone »

The Garden

• +23/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2018, 02:47:43 pm »
Just to add to the "multiple accounts", why not just provide a mechanism to add multiple users to an account. It should be a many to many relationship with a lookup table type of relationship between accounts and channels.

We do the same thing with a niche business project I am currently working on.

There are any number of users, and they can own or work for several different small businesses. We wanted the ability for user accounts and businesses to be managed very fluidly. It is the exact same problem with users/channels. Your tables (assuming a relational database) would need to look similar to this...

UserAccount:
userId
userName

Channels:
channelId
channelName

userAccount_channels_lookup_table:
userId
channelId
userLevel (i.e. 1 for admin, 2 for editor...)

Then your permission paradigm for channels just looks if the user is contained in the userAccount_channels_lookup_table.

I think that if you implement this sort of structure now, it will be easier than down the road and will allow for multiple channels to be created easily.

There are a lot of advantages to having multiple channels. For example, I was a [small] content creator on youtube, and I would post nicely edited videos to my main channel, but I had another channel for family so we could share just stupid, unedited videos of family events. 

If I were to transfer my main youtube videos to BitChute, I would want to be able to create a channel that is not publicly linked to my main profile. The channel should be able to be it's own entity. Also I have thought of posting some how-to videos in the technology related spectrum, but I kind of don't want to pollute my profile with "helpful" videos, and controversial videos at the same time. Because down the road, when the platform takes off, people will correlate my helpful videos with my controversial stuff and begin to hate on the helpful videos for no reason.

So basically, channels allow compartmentalization. There are many times where someone may have two+ interesting topics they post about and I only care about one. If 90% of what they post is annoying/irrelevant (i.e. It's raining tacos video), I am not subscribing because it will fill my front page feed with crap. However, if they can post on separate channels, I can get what I want and they can get the views they want. It is a win/win situation.

That is a good idea but it would be tricky to implement it. Though I think there is no real demand for that to justify the time to develop this feature.

yadwinder

• +3/-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2018, 06:20:24 pm »
F*CK YEAH !!

currahee

• +2/-0
    • View Profile
    • EVERYCITIZENASOLDIER.org
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2018, 01:16:49 am »
I would be very much interested in creating more than one channel.  I have a couple of ideas past my main channel that I would like to implement.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 02:12:25 am by currahee »